Packing is one of the most important and most stressful things to do while moving. While moving you need to pack everything starting from your toothbrush to the fridge! Some people trust the process of packing their belongings to the crew of the professionals from the moving company and some, who want to save their money and be sure that their belongings are packed in the right way – do it by themselves.
If you want to spare money while moving and pack, your belongings by yourself, this article might be helpful for you. We found a few tips for you to pack all your belonging without any troubles.
Here they are!
First things first – you need boxes to pack your belongings in.
If you do not want to buy them in your moving company or if your company does not provide you with them, you can try to find free boxes. Usually they can be easily found in Recycling Centres in your city. If you cannot find recycling centres in your city then we have a real life hack for you – try to go to the nearest liquor or book stores and ask them about boxes.
Why? Because usually liquor and book boxes are quite strong. You might not find too big boxes but you will probably find something for your belongings. Do not forget that while packing your belongings in the box make sure that it is clean. And don’t forget to tape the bottom of all boxes. Secure your moving boxes well.
We recommend you to find boxes for moving different objects. Use different boxes to move your clothes and your household items in order not to damage them. Do not forget to find box for your boots and shoes separately!
But when you are packing up your belongings, boxes is not an only thing that you need. Here are some materials that can also help you to pack your belongings safely:
- Packing paper. It is safe to wrap your belongings in packing paper before putting it in the box. Your grandparents most likely used newspapers instead of it, which is also a good thing, but usually newspapers leaves stains and smears on the surface of your belonging.
- Bubble wrap paper. It is very useful for delicate and special care items like glass and porcelain. But make sure that your kids won’t steal it to play before you pack up!
- Tape! Tape everything! Buy tape gun to make the process of your packing and taping easirer.
- Foam rubber pieces and styrofoam are your friends while packing items in the big boxes. You will be sure that your items will not be moving inside the box and be damaged in the process of moving. There has to be no space left in the box with fragile items!
- One of the life hacks that your grandparents used is wrapping fragile items in the towels and clothes to prevent them breaking. It is also will make easier the process of moving your clothes just as towels.
- You can pack your clothes and shoes or boots in your suitcase, which is going to spare your money. Then just wrap your suitcase with bubble wrap paper and you’re ready to move your clothes!
Zip lock bags are also very useful in the process of moving. They can be used for very small items such as pens, pencils or even your equipment, even cameras and tablets. You can pack food in zip locks – for example, grocery products.
We also prepared three golden rules while packing for you and they are:
- Pack things that take less time to pack first! Clothes, book and shoes will go first and spare your time before packing big items such as furniture and equipment.
- Use right size boxes for your items! There should be no holes in the box when it is full! If you leave holes to be most likely your fragile items will break
- Use small boxes for heavy items!
- Don’t forget to label the boxes to know what each contains.
Good luck with packing your belongings!