While calculating the price of your move you suddenly find yourself in the position when it is quite expensive for you to move. Moving expenses is a thing that grows very quickly. You pay to the moving company, the deposit on your new apartment and some furniture. That is how your budget grows bigger and bigger. “But what should I do? How to make my move less expensive? ” you ask.
There are various life hacks how to make your move less expensive and finding free boxes is one of them. It is going not only to save your money, but also trees in the woods from being cut down. Be sure, you will save a big amount of money while using free boxes. Another question is where to find them?
It’s easier than you think. Here are some tips for you where to get free boxes for moving:
- Check with your local stores. You may never thought about it, but what happens to the shipments that are made for your local stores, like grocery, pharmacy, bookstores and even liquor stores? They are giving them away! That is your chance! There is a particular thing about book and liquor boxes – they are very study and durable due to their purpose – carrying the weight of books and glass bottles. Just try to ask if you can borrow their cardboard boxes. Be sure they won’t be against it, because the more you take the less they will have to carry to the dumpster. Ask for the delivery day and just pick your boxes up later on. Just be sure that your free moving boxes are clean and sturdy inside, because you don’t want your items to be spoiled.
- Also check bars, pubs and cafes. It is the same thing as with your local groceries. They all receive the products in the boxes. Probably they will be grateful if you take them away.
- Recycling centers. You may not know that there is a recycle center in your city, but be sure, there is at least one. Thing is that almost all recycling centers have special areas where people leave lightly used boxes for reuse. So, google nearest recycle center and go there.
- Your workspace. If you are working in the office, it won’t be hard for you to borrow a few (not actually a few, you need a lot of them) cardboard boxes from the paper and other stuff. Usually offices get tons of packages and after they’ve unpacked those boxes and don’t need them Do not worry if you don’t work in the actual office, you can go to the any office building and ask someone from the front desk and ask them about boxes.
- Even schools have tons of deliveries. All you have to do is just to speak with the janitorial staff and offer to take boxes. It is going to spare them the time of breaking them down for recycling.
- Find someone who just moved. Scroll your Instagram or Facebook feed. Maybe someone of your friends posted photo from the new house? Or try to remember who was the last person that moved to your apartment block or to your street? Ask them beforehand, if they still have some boxes, you can borrow.
- Trash to treasure. People tend to leave boxes outside straight after they have moved so do not be lazy and take a walk. Maybe, if you are lucky, you will run into boxes.
- Use Internet. In the Internet, there are many sites, where people actually give away boxes they’ve used once. Moreover, many mobile apps can help you find boxes in your city. Join local Facebook groups and search with the help of hashtags if anyone is offering to provide boxes for moving.
- Social media. Surf your social media accounts. Write a post on your Facebook page or post the story on the Instagram that you need cardboard boxes to move. It might also help.
Hopefully, some of the pieces of advice above might really help. You might spend a long time searching boxes around your city, but, in any case, it is going to spare your money. You will probably agree, that it’s better to spend day or two searching free boxes then to spend too much money. Beside money, there is one more reason why it is better to search for used cardboard boxes – and it is our environment. By reusing paper products, you prevent cutting down woods.
So, once you found boxes, do not throw them away! Someone could be happy to have your boxes for their moving. Please, leave the post in your local Facebook group that you are ready to give them away to anyone who needs them. Your friends who are about to move are going to be so glad.